The Universe is a constant source of energy that ebbs and flows – a cosmic dance that we are all participating in. Learning to understand this dance and the power of our energy can be the difference between feeling depleted and expanding our consciousness to align with our authentic self.
Energetic freedom and balance can only be achieved when we learn to understand this power and how it relates to others.
Defining the Law of Reciprocity
If you believe that there is a constant energetic exchange between you and the cosmic forces that be, then you have already begun to grasp the basic principle of the Law of Reciprocity. This energetic principle has been taught throughout history and in various cultures and religions. It is a manifestation in its purest form, which simply says: “what you give, you shall receive.”
For example, one way to receive more abundance in your life is to go out and share your abundance and wealth with those around you. To receive more love and happiness in your life is to expand beyond your own experience and share that love and happiness with those around you. The words “give” and “receive” may stand in contrast to each other, but they are two sides of the same coin. One cannot exist without the other.
“The universe operates through dynamic exchange… in our willingness to give that which we seek, we keep the abundance of the universe circulating in our lives.”
– Deepak Chopra
How to apply this principle
Cosmic order and balance are at the root of this concept. Lean too much to one side, and the scale may tip and fall over; give too much of yourself, and the Universe may force you to slow down through illness and fatigue. When your ability to give and receive is out of balance, the Law of Reciprocity is being violated, and the Universe will then take matters into its own hands by holding you accountable for the circumstances you have created.
The Law of Reciprocity can be applied in three simple steps. However, keep in mind that balance needs to be at the forefront of your mind when implementing this law:
1. Give: Giving does not have to take the form of a physical gift. After all, this principle is all about energetic exchange. Showing compassion, giving a helping hand, a supportive ear, or something as simple as a smile is all you need. While these are just simple examples of giving, as humans, we are hard-wired to give too much of ourselves sometimes. It’s okay to have boundaries and say no. Remember, give too much, and you’ll fall out of alignment.
2. Receive: For many of us, this can be the hardest part. We become so accustomed to giving too much of ourselves that we forget how to receive. One of the biggest lessons that the Universe can offer us is a lesson in how to receive without guilt. When we let go of the belief that we are not worthy of receiving but only giving, all the incredible things that the Universe so eagerly wants to give us will begin to flow into our lives.
3. Gratitude: There’s nothing that makes you more magnetic than gratitude. When we can appreciate and be grateful for the things that we already have in our life, we create a balance between feeling grateful for what we already have and feeling desire for what we would like to have.
Contrary to popular belief, “no” is one of the most magnetic words in the Universe. Unfortunately, society has taught us that by saying no, we are selfish, but sometimes using this word can be the biggest act of self-love. It is a sign that we respect ourselves and our boundaries and are taking the necessary steps to create balance.
There is a huge difference between compassion and enabling. These words are often used interchangeably but learning the distinction between these concepts can also be the difference between enjoying inner peace and experiencing inner turmoil.
How you may be squandering your energy
There are various ways we tend to squander our divine energy, but here are just a few ways:
When you give too much:
Be careful about giving too much of yourself, as it often becomes too easy to say yes to the wrong things. The job that does not align with you, the toxic relationship, or choosing to say yes to things when you have nothing more to give. Get clear on your goals, values, and what you want from this life. If it doesn’t align with your higher purpose and serve your greatest good, then say goodbye to it.
Spend your energy doing:
Many of us have spent our energy ruminating about past regrets and living in future fantasies. While there is nothing wrong with dreaming, we often squander our energy waiting for things to manifest instead of taking the necessary steps that will help move things along. If you have been dreaming of starting that project or goal but find yourself putting things off, take this as a sign that it’s time to start today! Remember, move towards things that scare you – that is where the magic is.
Not everyone is on the same path:
Everyone has their own unique journey, and that is okay. There is no need to convince anyone that the path you’re on is right for you, as you will only be squandering the divine energy that you have been given. Trust your intuition because it will never lead you astray. If you continue to seek the approval of everyone, you will need to compromise and be prepared to achieve nothing.
In conclusion, remember this when thinking about the Law of Reciprocity and how to use your energy:
“We have no sense of value for our energy (which is our current/internal energy) as it relates to our currency (which is a result of labor/physical exchange). For example, when you get paid for the time you spend but squander the money earned, that is a waste of time and resources. Another example would be, spending your energy and time in exchange for recognition. This is squandering because the exchange lacks spiritual value which is equivalent to the energy spent. Therefore, you ultimately are left feeling depleted because of the imbalance between exchanges. The energy was not replenished, increased, or reciprocated.”
– Dynamo Jakk, Founder of Zeropoint University (www.zeropointuniversity.com)
We have all experienced moments when we have bitten off more than we can chew. Learning to become the masters of our energy allows us to take back our power and direct our energy and focus into the things that will bring us joy, health, and prosperity. We are the only ones that can do this, so take back your energy!
Remember, there are 1,440 minutes in a day. If you sleep 7 hours, this means you have 1,000 minutes every day to consciously choose how and what you spend energy on.
If you are ready to take back your energy, try these affirmations and meditations “to achieve balance in giving and receiving”:
1. Wherever I go, and whomever I encounter, I will bring them a gift. The gift may be a compliment, a flower, or a prayer. Today, I will give something to everyone I come into contact with, and so I will begin the process of circulating joy, wealth, and affluence in my life and in the lives of others.
2. Today I will gratefully receive all the gifts that life has to offer me. I will receive the gifts of nature: sunlight, the sound of birds singing, spring showers, or the first snow of winter. I will also be open to receiving from others, whether it be in the form of a material gift, money, a compliment, or a prayer.
3. I will make a commitment to keep wealth circulating in my life by giving and receiving life’s most precious gifts: the gifts of caring, affection, appreciation, and love. Each time I meet someone, I will silently wish them happiness, joy, and laughter.
The Law of Giving & Receiving (chopra.com)