INTRODUCTION TO VATA-PITTA-KAPHA DOSHA
स्वस्थस्य स्वास्थ्य रक्षणं, आतुरस्य विकार प्रशमनं। (चरक संहित सूत्र ३०।२६)
Ayurveda Shastra aims to keep a healthy person healthy and manage or curing diseases (mind, body, or both) that manifest in a person.
In accordance with Ayurveda, an individual’s ayurvedic constitution is determined at the conception of life itself, developed at birth, and happens to be constant throughout one’s entire lifetime. It is immensely significant in influencing the physiology, physique, and disposition, such as likes and dislikes, tendencies, habits, and character. It also determines a person’s susceptibility towards imbalances in constitution and illnesses.
It is usually comprehended through a very particular combination of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha when you were born into this world. It intrinsically reflects your body’s generic and natural state of optimal equilibrium. Due to the reason that your ayurvedic constitution works as a layout for your overall health and well being, it becomes crucial to understand it sufficiently to manage your life much more effectively and efficiently.
It’s exceptionally crucial to be aware that we all have all the three ayurvedic Doshas in our constitutions (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha). Differentiating one from having a particular Dosha to another is the magnitude of ratio that they bear. The exact quantitative, as well as the qualitative relationship that exists between these three dishes is what decides your unique Dosha type. A Tridoshic constitution type implies that one has a relatively equal ratio of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha in their body and is bound to have significant differences in traits and other attributes unique to specific Dosha types.
IMPLICATIONS OF TRIDOSHIC CONSTITUTION
The implications of being a Tridoshic are that the concerned individual is bound to have a somewhat equal balance of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha Doshas in their body and mental constitution. A Tridoshic individual can presumably be variable or otherwise, utterly dependent on exactly how the Doshas work and mix. An individual’s personality is usually balanced and somewhat steady, which is attributable to the fact that intrinsically, the three Doshas tend to balance one another. To put it differently, it is much more challenging for a Tridoshic individual to get into an imbalanced state. The usual recommendation for such individuals to follow the ayurvedic lifestyle is prescribed for each season and conditions.
To comprehend the Tridoshic type, let us delve deeper into the five essential elements that happen to constitute all and every form of matter in this universe. These elements are:
Consequently, a Tridoshic constitution undoubtedly implies that all these five elements are balanced and coordinated on an equal basis in your body. It also indicates that you are a somewhat flat and proportioned person concerning your nature and traits.
Ayurveda’s ultimate objective is to direct us in balancing our respective Doshas. If you have already been bestowed with this type, you can only be grateful for the optimum state to be achieved otherwise.
One must keep in mind that understanding the distinction of physical attributes concerning your constitution is essentially dependent on a person’s ethnicity, region, and other factors. Meaning, one considers the physical traits (eyes, color, height, etc.) are inevitably comparable only to people of similar ethnicity.
Tridoshic people usually happen to possess a nicely proportioned skeletal build, which is somewhat medium in terms of size, very similar to one’s complete skeletal structure as well as one’s muscular body. It also renders a person a very high amount of energy and stamina level that is relatively consistent.
People with the Tridoshic ayurvedic constitution are generally lean, athletic, light, and have a reasonably consistent weight. The face of such people usually has a Vata’s length as well as angularity, Pitta’s heart-shape, and sharp and precise facial attributes, and Kapha’s usual round-faced feature. Such people tend to have eyes that are somewhat medium-sized, shiny and capturing.
The skin and the scalp of Tridoshic people are generally well hydrated and not much oily, too, for that matter. The hair of Tridoshic persons is bound to be soft and average in terms of texture and amount. Tridoshic people are blessed with nicely lubricated joints, and their body temperature is reasonably neutral and consistent. These physical attributes render them highly capable of adapting to diverse environmental and climatic conditions.
Tridoshic people generally tend to be quick-minded, intelligent, discerning, creative, and quite ambitious too. They are also immensely insightful, highly articulate, mostly steady, and very wise, for that matter. Such people are inclined to be enthusiastic, fun-loving, and hard-working, along with being strong-willed and very compassionate. They possess personality traits that include gentleness, lovingness, and tolerance. When they are in the optimum state of balance, they are not easily flustered by the happenings around them.
Tridoshic people are well suited for travel and adventure, intellectual activities, and cognitive actions such as problem-solving. They are usually relaxed and can establish a generic connection with others around them. They are also quite moral, wise, and inevitably natural leaders. These traits make them highly prone to successful careers and accolades. Their disposition is very well suited for achieving higher goals and ambitions
Please Note: We highly suggest vegan diets but have included options for all diet types.
People who possess the Tridoshic constitution have a consistent and healthy appetite, and they relish their food a lot. They are rendered with good and natural digestion that is quite a lot in terms of digestive capacity. It allows them to eat well and per their healthy appetite. Such people are also very creative in the culinary art and are generally good cooks. These persons have an excellent understanding of the suitable dietary habits for themselves, and they usually keep it well balanced.
Whenever there is any sort of imbalance or distortion in a person’s constitution due to stress or any other factor, one may experience symptoms like gas, bloating, constipation (Vata), excess heat such as acid reflux, or diarrhea (Pitta), or heavy sluggishness (Kapha). The Tridoshic person must keep in mind the six basic tastes- sour, bitter, sweet, salty, astringent, and pungent and how to eat a balanced meal that would keep them intact.
Qualities that must be lessened:
Tastes that must be maximized:
Tastes that must be minimized:
- White basmati rice
- Amaranth, barley, brown rice, buckwheat, corn
- Flour products, millet, quinoa
- Use natural or organic and non-homogenized milk products. Milk should be taken warm with a small number of spices such as ginger and cardamom. Ghee is best used with mild spices.
- Ghee, 2% milk
- Butter, buttermilk, cottage cheese, cream, goat milk, kefir, sour cream, whole cow’s milk
- Minimize hard cheese, ice cream, frozen yogurt, Sweeteners. Overuse of any sweetener will eventually cause an imbalance.
- Fresh honey, date sugar, dextrose, fructose, grape sugar, old honey, maltose, maple sugar, maple syrup, molasses, rice syrup
- Minimize white table sugar
Nuts and Seeds
- Fatty, oily, and slightly warm, most nuts would aggravate Tridoshic individuals if relied upon as a staple. However, using them in small amounts is advised and will not cause any imbalance.
- Pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, sunflower seeds
- Apricots, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, grapefruit, grapes, jujube, lemon, lime, mango, nectarines, oranges, papaya, peaches, pears, pineapple, plums (sweet), pomegranate, raspberries, tangerines, watermelon
- Bean sprouts, cauliflower, parsley, potatoes, sunflower sprouts
- Small Amounts of alfalfa sprouts, artichokes, asparagus, avocado, beans (green), beets, bitter melon, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, celery, cilantro, corn, cress, cucumber, eggplant, garlic (cooked), Jerusalem artichoke, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onion, peas (sweet), peppers (bell and green), pumpkin, radish, seaweed, spinach, squash (yellow, acorn, winter), tomatoes (sweet), turnips
- Water, water with lemon, herb teas with spices as listed
- Small Amounts of black tea, green vegetable juices, natural carbonated pure juice drinks
- Avoid alcohol, coffee (caffeinated and decaffeinated), fruit juices (sweet), soda pop (sweetened), soft drinks
- Cardamom, catnip, chamomile, coriander, cumin, fennel, lemon verbena, peppermint, saffron, spearmint, turmeric
- Small Amounts of allspice, anise, asafetida, basil, bay leaves, black pepper, calamus, caraway, celery seed, cinnamon, curry leaves, dill, fenugreek, hyssop, marjoram, nutmeg, oregano, paprika, parsley, poppy seeds, rosemary, sage, salt, star anise, tarragon, thyme
- Avoid using cayenne pepper, cloves, garlic (raw), ginger (dry), horseradish, mustards (hot)
- Pacifying food qualities of the Pitta-Kapha Dosha: According to the old ayurvedic notes, the bitter taste has a pacifying effect on both-Pitta and Kapha Doshas. Thus, this is an important addition to the diet of a Pitta-Kapha type. Sweet, sour, and pungent foods must be consumed in moderation to maintain the harmony of all the other Doshas as well.
- Aggravating food qualities of the Pitta- Kapha Dosha: Some foods can aggravate your dominant Doshas. However, in order to maintain the body’s balance, it is necessary to include them in the diet in limited quantities. Salty foods aggravate both Pitta and Kapha Doshas. Oily and liquid foods also aggravate both these Doshas.
- Nourishing foods that need to consume to cater to the Pitta-Kapha Doshas: Fruits, vegetables, grains, meat, eggs, legumes, spices, herbs, etc., help in balancing the Pitta-Kapha Dosha.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT ASANAS
Choosing the right asanas for a Tridoshic constitution is pretty straightforward, as you need to include a mix of various types of asanas to keep your program well-rounded. The approach is the same as healthy eating – you need a blend of every nutrient in moderation. Your yoga routine should regularly follow a moderate pace with the right mix of standing and inverted poses, forward and backbends. Still, it will need to be tweaked in case signs of any Dosha’s aggravation arise.
Stretching asanas are recommended for all Dosha types and should be included in any warm-up routine. However, based on Tridoshic yoga recommendations, certain poses should be included in a balanced and comprehensive pattern.
Some of the best asanas for a Tridoshic yoga routine would include the Surya Namaskar, Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose), Balasana (Child pose), Downward dog (Adho Mukha shvanasanaMukharshanasa (Headstand), Halasana (Plow Pose), Sethu Bandhasana (Bridge pose), Sarvanghasana (Shoulderstand), Meru Wakrasana (Simple spinal twist), Matsyasana (Fish Pose), Salabhasana (Locust Pose), Paschimothanasana (Seated forward bend), Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half spinal twist), Dhanurasana (Bow Pose), Pada Hastasana (Hand under foot pose), Shavasana (Corpse Pose), and Trikonasana (Triangle pose) when planning your yoga routine, just sure to include a mix of asanas that represents every type.
Other attributes such as energy levels and sleep habits
Such people are inevitably blessed with a well balanced and sturdy constitution that offers them a robust immunity and energy levels. Such people are highly vital and energetic. Such people are usually at their optimum level of functioning when they can maintain the proper amount of any activity they do and keep in mind the body’s capacity and not over exhausting themselves. They must learn how to balance work and rest to retain good health in a long-term scenario.
The sleeping habits of Tridoshic people are primarily moderate. They require a good and sound sleep of somewhat seven to eight hours. Their sleep pattern is of an early riser and early sleeper. They don’t do well staying up late at night. Their sleep is enough to render them sufficient rest for the exhaustion from activities done all day.
The Tridoshic body type is essentially the optimum state that other Dosha types strive to attain. It is a perfect balance that renders one a very well appropriate disposition and is likely to help a person live a very fruitful life. It is also very tricky and essential to maintaining this balanced state, and efforts must be directed to keep one from being unusually stressed or flustered.